Car Repair Advices Part 4

Looks like our boy Dave2D is still experiencing Van trouble:

https://youtu.be/OUjtkiboJQg

https://youtu.be/TsGQlLTSHL4

https://youtu.be/YCaQar1WNFw

In the first video it was found that what was preventing the Van from starting was a blown fuse but,.... a blown fuse is a symptom not the cause of a problem.

Something, possibly in the ignition system, drew current above the rating of the fuse and blew the fuse, hence logically, the problem lies with the component that blew the fuse, not the fuse itself. So, in a sense it was a good thing that Dave2D replaced the coil, distributor, rotor, etc. Otherwise the component that previously blew the fuse, may once again draw too much current and blow the fuse, possibly at an inopportune time.

I believe the Van has a 302 motor, and what looks to be a two barrel carburetor. If anyone reading this has a spare working two barrel carburetor that will fit the van engine in the video, maybe you can donate it, throw in a working fuel pump while you are a it, as well.

Ideally it would be great if someone could get a mechanic up there.

Meanwhile back in Baja California:

https://youtu.be/EqrZV2hFkWg

(Wow, life is great for Jimmy and Sabrina! ! Ok Jimmy got a stomach bug and is vomiting uncontrollably but still, Talk about Karma, whoa!)

https://youtu.be/SlPwX1VJ7H8

Also, the Minimal Millennial are living in a Tent:

https://youtu.be/u0U5lDCtcgs

Oddly, this brings up a good idea. It may be beneficial for Van Lifers to pack an emergency bag or emergency tent and sleeping bag just in case something happens to the van, or the van has to be abandoned for some reason. A contingency plan just in the case one has to leave the Van quickly and can't return.

That brings me to my story about my Van. I bought a 2005 Ford E350 a while back, with a rod knock. Due to the extensive use of electronics, I decided to instead get an older van. I am in the process of removing the engine from the Van. I am planning on rebuilding the engine, then installing it back into the van and then selling it. The Van could find a 2nd life in carpet cleaning, uniform delivery, hauling around painting supplies or large quantities of vegetables, etc.

I have a 1980 Chevy G20, which runs well, though the van cargo bay is a bit small. Oddly enough, the G20 runs well, it can't pass smog but it runs quite well. I recently acquired the almost perfect Stealth Van, a 1982 Ford E350 with an extended cab with a 7.5L engine (460 cu in) and barn doors, for $500! Though, you can just imagine what condition it is in!!

The Van looks like it spent time at the bottom of a lake, covered with silt and fine sand. In a sense it was, I bought the van from a guy who lived in Lake L.A. near Lancaster, CA. The Van sat parked in a large back yard since 1990. The engine looks like it ran on dust, though amazingly we almost got it running. We poured quite a bit of gasoline and other flammable liquids into the carburetor and as long as the Carb had Gas it ran and then peters out. The guy singed his arm hair when the engine backfired and a big ball of flame came out the carburetor.

So, I rented a two wheel car dolly from a local car dolly rental guy and rented a truck. I hauled it back to Phoenix, AZ, that was an adventure in and of itself. I thought it would be safer and easier to avoid steep climbs and highways, so I attempted to travel from Lake L.A., CA to Phoenix, AZ without using highways. Like Highway 10.

Well it took me east of 29 palms into the desert, to Old Dale, Rice,Vidal Junction, then follow the train tracks to Bluewater, it's reoccuring...anyway. A couple of miles east of 29 palms a sign read, next services 100 miles. Once I passed the Sheephole Valley Wilderness, there was just unnamed desert, 100-150 miles of no power lines, no phone lines, no visible homes or houses, no towns, no cars either going or coming, nothing, just a road and desert on the sides. Luckily I was crossing it around 11pm at night so it wasn't too hot. I passed several signs saying, "Soft Shoulder", I didn't know what it meant until I pulled off to the side, I wanted to see just how dark it was with no artificial light. It was dark and very silent. I got back into the truck and tried to get back on the road, the truck wheel spun as if it was in sand, well that was jarring, eventually I managed to get it back on the road.

I would just like to say to do a satellite check of all road surfaces before attempting something like this, (like on google maps) because the paved road ended 80 miles west of Phoenix (google maps may want to put a warning in the directions).

https://goo.gl/maps/emLiKyFs9YS2

 That was jarring, just a sign reading, "end of paved road" at 1am and then...boom... just a dirt road. Trying to back out with a small trailer is quite difficult, and trying to make a tight U-Turn with the trailer is also quite the challenge.  Though eventually I was able to turn the trailer and van, though the van and the truck were at 90 degrees. I got on highway 10 and headed to my home.

Once I am done with the 2005 Ford E350 I will start rebuilding the 1982 Ford E350, I am planning on rebuilding the 1982 Van completely from the front to the back and I will document it Vlog style.

And Now, a little something for the Van Lifers:

https://youtu.be/_QhZmKtD1og

https://youtu.be/EShvka7ciXE 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schooling for Targeted Individuals or Their Kids

List of Mind Control Symptoms